Sunday, February 3, 2013

My First 10K!

This weekend I did something I never imagined I would be able to do.  I ran 6.2 miles all at one time without stopping.   I was really nervous going into this race because I haven't been running lately.  I've been struggling a little with time management by adding working out back into my day.  During the Ultimate Reset, I wasn't able to workout so I did maybe a week of training for this race.  I told a friend earlier this week that I wasn't looking forward to it and thought I would probably end up walking a lot of the race.  She hasn't been feeling running lately either, so she wasn't too sure how she was going to do.   My friend and I agreed to start off together, but I made sure to let her know that when she wanted to take off to just go and I would be fine.  At about mile 2, I knew I wasn't going to stop.  I didn't care if I was the slowest "runner", I was going to run the whole race...no walking allowed.  My friend told me the same thing.  She wasn't going to let me walk.  We ended up making the perfect running team.  She said she tends to run too fast in the beginning then struggles to maintain her pace and ends up having to walk.  Since I was a slower runner than her, I kept her from burning out.  But she pushed me to run faster than I probably would have on my own.  We kept a pretty steady pace of around 11:30-12 min/mile.   Towards the end, my friend sped up and finished about a minute before I did.  I felt amazing as I rounded the corner lined with people watching and cheering and saw another friend holding up one of the signs in the picture above.  I saw the finish line and ran as fast as I could.  I'm pretty sure there was lightening come out of my feet! ;) 

The whole experience was a lot of fun.  The run was in perfect weather (cold to start off, but once we got going, it was really nice), running along the bay, past gorgeous (probably million dollar) homes and a perfect (totally by accident) playlist to keep me motivated.  My friend had also signed up for the 5k that started a little later.  So in between races, we hung out, got some food, and listened to an awesome DJ.    After the 5k started, I held up signs and cheered in runners at the finish line.  My friend PR'd in the 5k.  Overall, it was a great way to spend a Saturday morning!!!  Next goal is to run another 10K and see how much time I can shave off.  My official race time was 1 hr and 13 min.  I've got some work to do, but I will get there!!  Thanks to Jenny and Nicole for a great time!! 

If you are interested in setting new records and doing things you never thought possible, let me know and I can help!  As always, feel free to contact me on this blog or at erinkterry@hotmail.com, erinkterry@beachbodycoach.com on or Facebook at www.facebook.com/erinkterry 

Thanks for reading and have a great week!!


No comments:

Post a Comment