Monday, April 22, 2013

Meal Prep Tips





Awhile back, I wrote a blog about planning ahead and the food options I had for that week.   But I didn't go into a lot of detail about how I plan and what my process looks like.   So, for today's entry, I'll explain in a lot more detail. 

Since I have completed a few BB programs now (Insanity, ChaLEAN Extreme, Combat), I take some of my favorite meals from each of these plans.  All of these programs encourage clean eating so there are very little processed items in my diet.  After I pick the meals and snacks I want, I make a list and head to the grocery store.  (Just a few tips on grocery shopping!  1. NEVER go hungry.  All kinds of extras will end up in your cart.  2. Stick to the perimeter of the store.  The more processed junk is located on the inner aisles.  3.  Come prepared; have a list and stick to it.  Your butt and your wallet will thank you!)

I use a calendar/meal planner to plan out what meals I'll have each day.  I just got a new planner that I love from May Designs.  This company has tons of personalizing options for planners, notebooks, calorie and exercise trackers, etc.  SO CUTE!  Here is a picture of the inside of my calorie/exercise tracker. 



I have a pretty big collection of Tupperware containers.  These are a must if you want to meal prep ahead of time.  You can stock up without spending a ton of money.  I recommend getting a big basket or box to store them in so you can easily match containers and lids.   I keep my stored like this. 


Before I get started, I get the box out with all my Tupperware containers.  I also make sure all my dishes are clean and put away and clean my kitchen counter.  Now that I have my plan, groceries and a clean kitchen, its time to get to work!!

One of my staples is chicken.  For me, the easiest way to prepare it is to use a crock pot.  I use an entire bag of frozen tenderloins, throw them in the crock pot with a little water and what ever seasonings I decide to use that week.  I usually shred the chicken and use it in salads, tacos, paired with veggies, etc.  

Salads are another regular meal, so I make 4-5 small salads at once.  If you make 1 big salad it will probably only last a few days.  But if you use the smaller containers, a salad can last up to a week.  I also make a balsamic vinaigrette dressing that is amazing!!  You can find the recipe on the "Healthy Recipes" page on this blog. 

I'm not a morning person AT ALL, so breakfast usually has to be something I can eat in the car on the way to work.  I like to hard boil a carton of eggs and use those for breakfast.  I can also use them on salads or as snacks.  Turkey bacon is also really good and can be made several days in advance. 

I wash and cut all veggies and fruit I can.  If you can, invest in some Debbie Meyers Green Bags (you can find them at grocery stores, Target and Walmart).  These bags keep your produce fresher for longer.  I've used them with whole veggies and fruit and produce that has already been cut.  They are amazing and work like a dream!!

If I have almonds, cashew, etc.  I always separate them into serving sizes bagged up in snack bags. Makes it so much easier to stick to a portion.  I can throw a bag of almonds in my purse just in case I can't get to what other foods I packed. 

For this week, I have eggs/bacon for breakfast, almonds, apples and yogurt for snacks.  Lunch will be chicken or turkey tacos, tempeh stir fry and veggie burgers.  My sweet tooth has been acting up at night lately, so I'll be having Shakeology for dinner with a small side salad. 

One last tip.  Again, if you can invest, get a good lunchbox and some ice packs. I take my food to work everyday and I don't have easy access to a fridge. However, I have good healthy food to eat because I have the lunch box and ice.  I've thought about getting a bigger back so I can pack for an entire day, but so far, I don't have a need to pack dinner too.  

This is just the plan that I use.  I have made changes and learned faster ways to do things each week.  It is definitely a work in progress, but it makes choosing healthy options so much easier.   I recommend coming up with your own system that works for you.  If you are interested in learning more about how I meal prep or want some assistance in getting started yourself, please feel free to respond to this blog or contact me on Facebook at www.fb.com/erinkterry or www.fb.com/coacherinsmotivationstation

Have a great week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment